Saturday, October 4, 2008

Man tools

IMG_0657

I have started building my new greenhouse! My intention was to use the tools that I had available at the time: a cordless drill, miter box, and hammer. Unfortunately, the second battery for my 15 year old Craftsman drill finally died and it was not obvious were I could find a replacement. The two web sites that I found selling replacements looked sketchy to say the least. So, I bit the bullet and bought some new tools.

Of course, when I brought my new purchase into the apartment I received the prerequisite  harassing. Many jokes ensued about "man tools" but I had to laugh when I opened the box and the teenager stopped in mid-jibe and said. "Oo, shiny!" Everybody likes new stuff and black and yellow is a pretty cool color scheme.

I planned to only buy a new drill but for some extra cash I picked up a cordless circular saw and reciprocating saw as well. (The light that came with the set seems lame but I will go with it for now.) Having the circular saw has been nice as I started with only a hand saw and that was a bit of a pain. I can tell that the reciprocating saw has a taste for blood (and bone) and I am very careful when I use it. I am a big fan of engineered safety barriers and the reciprocating saw leaves me a little uneasy. The 18V tools seem to have plenty of power. Neither of the saws has felt underpowered and the drill arguably has too much torque.

Safety First! Go Bears!

No comments: